I read Graced-Based Parenting earlier this year. I loved reading it, though it is very daunting, contemplating the responsibility we have as parents. I am so thankful that God's grace is sufficient for me, and His power is made perfect in my weakness!!! Amazing!!
Tim Kimmel's basic premise is that a child has three diving inner needs of security, significance, and strength. The way to meet these needs is through love, purpose and hope. He says "if we've done our job adequately, our children should leave our homes with a love that is secure, a purpose that is significant, and a hope that is strong."
My parents did this!!! Sure, I can point to good times and bad, but overall. I left with these three gifts. I want to share with you a quote that brought tears to my eyes.
"Children need to have a hope in His love that enables them to trust in His character while walking down these painful corridors of their lives. For the child facing these crises, the grace that has surrounded him, the love he's been shown, and the character of the parents who gave him that grace and love provide a natural springboard for him to rest in God's final answer to his pleas. It helps him hope when everyone else would give up."
I want to thank my parents for giving me this hope. Mom and Dad, thank you so much!!! This characterizes what you taught me, what you still teach me!! I love you!!!
Here are a few more favorite quotes. Now go read this book!!!
"...wise parents teach their children ow to love, how to be forthright, how to be transparent with close friends, how to confront, and how to forgive."
"Grace provides equilibrium for a family. Where too many parents are concerned with how others view their children, grace-based parents are more excited with how God views their children."
"...they encourage their children to find the unique individual that God designed them to be through an intimate and authentic relationship with Christ."
"Grace understands that the only real solution for our children's sin is the work of Christ on their behalf."
"Your children's propensity toward sin shouldn't surprise you; it shouldn't threaten you, and it shouldn't even really bother you. ... By acknowledging your children's bent toward sin from the outset, you can encourage your children to struggle with their sin out in the open where you can talk about it and direct them to the power of Christ."
"He chose you to assist Him in a miracle. He gave you children and then said, 'Now go, and give these precious lives meaning.' ... You wonder, How am I to raise up children to love and serve God?...you simply need to treat your children the way God treats you.
He does it in His grace."
No comments:
Post a Comment