Saturday, April 25, 2009

Susan Boyle: Confidence and Joy

Have you listened to Susan Boyle sing? I guess I live under a rock, because I only heard about this remarkable woman on Tuesday night. The next morning I watched her video, and was mesmerized!! I watched several more videos (youtube is addicting!!) and read a few articles. As I got back to work my thoughts were continually drawn back to this woman, this frumpy British spinster, with the amazing voice, this woman who had captured the attention and imagination of millions.

What is so captivating about Susan Boyle? It has to be more than her voice… what is it? I am sure there are many answers, but what captured my attention was her confidence and joy. Watch her video again. See how she giggles right before she is going to sing?? She knows… this woman knows that she can sing, and that this judgmental audience of regular people and talented artists will be amazed. She may not have expected their reaction, but she confidently knew that their laughter would be silenced by her song. That giggle showed such confidence in the beautiful gift she was giving to the world, her beautiful song.

This confidence brought her joy. She wasn’t angry by their laughter, by their preconceived ideas. She was joyful in the expectation of what she knew they would hear, and of her secret that they would soon know; that her frumpy exterior concealed a beautiful voice she knew she possessed.

And so, almost defiantly and without apology, she shared her dream, as ridiculous as she knew it would seem to that audience, and sang. She silenced their jeering laughter.

In watching the amazed reaction of the crowd, of the judges, and of her response to theirs, I began to think about the beautiful gift I too often conceal, and I wonder at my own lack of confidence and joy.

The gospel, what Paul calls “of first importance”, is beautiful. The beauty of its message is often concealed by our own weakness and silenced by the preconceived ideas of others. Too often we let our fears of their opinion and judgment silence our song, to silence our joy.

Today, will you sing? Will you sing of the beauty of the Lord, of his desire to know us, and to build his kingdom through us? Will you defy the preconceived judgment of others and speak the truth, joyfully and confidently sharing your precious gift with the world?

1 Corinthians 15: 3-4,10a
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures…But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain.

2 Corinthians 12: 9-10
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

No comments: